- Wear good shoes and heavy pants for protection from rocks and nettles
- Remember that you will be on private property so please be careful and respectful.
- The door to the tower is kept locked but the key is available from Thos. B. Olivers Garage in Denholm.
There is a £10 deposit for the key £5 of which is returnable with £5 going towards the upkeep of the castle.
- Note the detailed map below the instructions.
Take the A698 to Denholm
- In Denholm the A698 is called Main Street
- Turn north at the east corner of the town square onto Kirkside Street. This is left at the far corner when driving from Hawick.
- Go to the end of the street, turn right onto Leyden Road for one block and then left onto Minto Road (B6405)
- Take the B6405 for 0.25 mile and turn right onto the first public road after the river
- Drive towards Ancrum 1.7 miles
- At approximately 1.7 miles from the turnoff, on the left, below Fatlips, there is a path in a wooded alleyway between the fields
- Park well off the road and take that path up to Fatlips
- Be very cautious as the path is steep and often slippery